Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Nomadic Church & the Warehouse

I love that the church that I attend is in no hurry to buy some land and build a building to house our worship services. For a little over a year, we've been worshipping in a middle school in the middle of Ankeny, Iowa. We started in the school cafeteria and eventually grew into one of gymnasiums.

Currently, we had a need for some space that we can use for a variety of reasons. From small groups meeting to the worship team rehearsing to having some small space for our small staff, we're looking at possibly investing in a warehouse that needs some renovation. Trust me, it's nothing fancy. In fact, it sits right next to a bar called Good Times. My wife thinks it would be kind of funny to call our potential space as "God Times." I could see the neon signs ablaze above our doors, one of the O's burnt out, as God Times lights the night.

Recently, our pastor asked us what our vision was for using the space. Here's what I wrote back:

Every time I think about the warehouse I get so excited about what God is going to do through that facility. I have a few dreams on my heart that are God-breathed that all tie-back to the warehouse.

First of all, it will be a home for the worship ministry to practice each week. Not only will it help us prepare each week for worship, but it will give a space to grow in fellowship with one another and with God.

Secondly, I would love to carve out an evening each month in which we could open up the space and have a night of worship and prayer. We would just sing to our hearts' delight, worshipping God as a body of believers.

Thirdly, I believe that the NorthBranch Worship Team is supposed to write and record music in the warehouse. I believe God is going to lay songs on our hearts that will later be recorded and hopefully produced into a CD.

Next, I believe that God wants to use this space to bring awareness to the poor and oppressed. I have had a dream on my heart for several years to showcase movies that share the stories of the widows and orphans of the world. I believe these movies will draw us closer to God in knowing the heart of the Father. And I believe through these films, we will discover our calling to reach out and share the everlasting love of Jesus through prayer and missions work.

Lastly, I believe God is going to use that space to bring families and singles together to fellowship and grow in our relationships. From potlocks to game nights, we'll share in laughter and tears of joy and pain as we grow closer to one another and to the Father through our community.

No comments: