Monday, September 22, 2008

The Vow and the Vision

Our church just finished a week long "season" of 24/7 prayer to commemorate the launch of The Station - an empty warehouse we recently converted into a home for our community. The Station will be used for classrooms, worship and office space. So we devoted a room to pray for a week and the church responded by signing up for an hour slot until the schedule was full.

I took a 2-hour slot this past Friday in which I spent the first hour worshiping God through song with some other folks from the worship team. Then from 12 - 1 AM I spent some God and Erik time in the prayer room.

I picked up a book I read a few years ago called "The Vow and the Vision" by Pete Grieg. And I cut to the chase and opened up the vow at the back of the book. Ah...the book came to life for me and the next thing I knew, I was kneeling on the floor, clutching a cross and reciting these words.

Fool that I am, I vow my whole life, all that I have and all that I am to be true to Christ in the grace of our Holy Spirit for every day the Father grants me. So help me God.

Weak as I am, I vow my whole life to be kind to people: to see Christ in others, to serve Christ in others and to show Christ to others in the joy of the Holy Spirit for the glory of our Father. So help me God.

Small as I am and wherever I am, I vow my life to the Gospel of Christ. Today, together, we offer to spend ourselves on behalf of the broken and poor in the power of the Spirit, giving our whole life that you might be loved in every language, tribe and nation in our generation for the glory of our Father. We will not live for ourselves. So help us God.

‘Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess’ Hebrews 10:23-25

No comments: